Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Surfer Chick

Soooo Sunday was Alise's birthday (one of my housemates) and I took her to Payless to get ice cream (the store where we get groceries). You can get 2 scoops there for $1.30!! Not bad. I finally bought a homemade hand fan too. I just drip and drip sweat in my classroom and it's helped a lot.

Yesterday (Monday) was your average day at school. I realized I was writing sentences on the board during English class about when women started wearing pants....hahahaha and the next group of sentences was about a pond freezing over and ice skating...I seriously considered whether I should make up my own sentences on the spot. Oh well!

So after school we went to gymnastics, and when we get back at 5:30pm we're sooo gross and sweaty. A bunch of guys were going out surfing and I've been wanting to try! So I asked Cameron (VP) if he would teach me, and he let me use one of his boards. So we got out there and I told him I had no clue what I was doing. He taught me how to paddle a little bit. Then he said, "Oh you're paddling really good let's go out." I'm pretty sure he was just itching to surf LOL I never realized how difficult paddling out is. I was SO tired!! Before I made it past where the wave breaks the biggest swell the guys have seen all season came crashing down on my head....yes I tried to duck dive but it was too powerful. Luckily I held onto my board but I didn't make it out before the next one thrashed me like your dirty underwear in the washer! I lost my board on that one....at least I had gum to stave off the salty taste right!? hahaha it was so NOT fun. But I got behind the waves and then I was too afraid to paddle back in! I really wanted to attempt to try and catch a wave but I was wasted. I was so exhausted by the time I got back in I went to bed at 9:15!

They chopped down all the old coconuts in the palm trees by the school so they don't fall on any little kids. So we had a coconut party and I drank and ate a fresh coconut.

Today I got up early and watched the sunrise. (Partly because I had to get up and do lesson plans since I went to bed so early.) But it was so beautiful. I love being by the ocean!! And the sunrise tonight was amazing too.

I got a couple more packages today too! I love getting packages. It's like a little taste of home. I just ordered a pizza here at the hotel and it was SO good! Reminded me of the good ole USA :)

Well I better start grading those papers!!

No comments:

Post a Comment