Sunday, August 23, 2009

I survived the first week!

Ahh the weekend. Where do I begin!? There's so much to tell about this week. Right now I'm sitting at the hotel waiting on my french toast MMM!

We have a lot of geckos (and cockroaches, etc.) in our apartments all the time and they make a little clicking noise. A bunch of us were talking about it and suddenly Zach (one of the SMs) says "What it's not rats??" Apparently he couldn't sleep at night because he thought there were rats in his room! haha This same guy also stepped through a weak spot in our vice principal's floor when we were having a going away dinner for the guys going to Jeh and Woja. So now there's a big hole in his TV room!

We started teaching the gymnastics class this week. Cameron (our VP) started the team last year (he used to be a gym-master) but he wasn't here this week so a few of us were in charge. It is really hot but we take a fan with us to the gym. It's funny because all the kids drink out of the same cup when we bring the cooler. They do that at the school too. I think it was Thursday after class when we got back to the school all hot and sweaty, and me, Tony and Alise all jumped into the ocean in our clothes. It is so nice having the ocean as our backyard! We saw the most brilliant rainbow I've ever seen too, from one end of the horizon to the other. It even reflected on the water. Supposedly there's some guys that play soccer here ever week, but I still haven't gotten to play yet! Hopefully I get to soon.

The funniest thing happened when I was here (at the hotel) on Friday after school. We were all sitting next to the window (which overlooks the ocean!) and an older gentleman with a nice black speedo walked by. I was skyping my parents who were lucky enough to see it! hahaha He kept walking back and forth and then sitting in a chair beside us and then standing up with chair marks on his legs....Alise said that was the most skin she's seen in a long time lol.

Friday morning in my class I was taking attendance when I felt a little tickle on my foot. Then it started crawling up my leg and I looked down to see a cockroach! Thankfully I didn't freak out in front of my class...and then Friday night before vespers I got out of the shower and our apartment was full of little bugs! The girls next door had them in their beds. We have no clue where they came from. They looked like little flying termites. It was so gross.

I also got a new kid on Wednesday who has never been to school before, and he's really shy. He came late and then after lunch he just ran away and didn't come back! Then his mom came and talked to me a little upset about him missing school. She explained they were paying a lot of money, he needs to learn, etc. Apparently he told his mom that I sent him home! I told her he never talked to me and she said to call her if there were any problems. So the next day he asked to use the restroom and ran away again! So I called her and she told me to tell his brother (who is in the high school). The poor kid is so shy! But Friday he stayed the whole day and I even got him to read out loud.

I love Friday nights here because I get showered and cleaned up, and then afterwards we go and set up my hammock and chill and look at the stars. It's so relaxing. Especially after teaching all week! God knew what He was doing when He made the Sabbath. We've had a good breeze the last couple of nights too. Apparently there is usually a better breeze, but lately it's been dead and hot.

Yesterday we had potluck at our principal's house and one of the filipino teachers made the best flan I've ever had!! MMM it was sooo good.

Well I have to go do lesson plans and grading :)



1 comment:

  1. My grandma's flan is probably better but since you'll probably never get to have any, I'm glad you're enjoying the flan there.

    ReplyDelete