Wednesday, August 12, 2009

from student to teacher

I'm going to be a teacher YIKES! I feel so unprepared and clueless about this whole process. Trying to get into the mindset of a teacher is so foreign to me. Suddenly I'm trying to recall what my teachers used to do and what they must have been thinking. What a new perspective! I mean I guess I've taught gymnastics before, but this is a full-time job. And much more important for the kids. I hope the kids like and respect me, but more importantly I hope they see Jesus in me. That is what I'm here for anyway. School starts tomorrow morning!

About daily Marshallese life, well I bought a muu muu. Never thought I'd be able to say that...but I'm wearing it now. Pictures to come! hahaha I thought only fat old ladies wore these. The last two nights i've gone out to the rocks and watched the moon rise. It is so beautiful! It looks big on the horizon of the ocean too. Last night the stars were so brilliant. I guess it's been cloudy until now. I saw a few shooting stars too...my favorite. Two nights ago it was so hot with NO breeze whatsoever and I woke up in the middle of the night dripping sweat. I had to go get a drink from the fridge because i was feeling dehydrated from sweating so much. Then the next day I tried to take a shower in the morning but the water was out (which apparently happens every now and then) and then that night it went off AGAIN! So i went all day without a shower which is a very bad idea here. But thankfully I got one this morning. But I woke up with a huge cockroach on the wall over my bed. AHHH and a couple of the friendly flea-ridden dogs caught a rat last night. I guess these are all things you get used to.


2 comments:

  1. I love your opening paragraph Nicole. Those are the same feelings I experienced when I first got here, even though teaching is not my full-time job, just one of many. It's funny because I remember all the trouble I gave my teachers in high school and now I look back and feel sorry for them because I know what it's like to deal with obnoxious kids now :) Anyways, I enjoy reading your blog, and while I wish you were here with us, you're in my prayers. God will use you this year, and the kids are definitely going to be blessed. You're so much fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know I want to go back and take back all the trouble I ever caused!! haha I wish I could be with you too, Honduras would be so much fun. But it is amazing here for sure and I love my students after only 2 days. You are in my prayers too for sure!! Remember John 16:33 :)

    ReplyDelete