Friday, August 14, 2009

Days 1 and 2 behind me

I was filled with so much anxiety on the first day of school! That could also be because I felt totally unprepared. This is because I'm a huge procrastinator and didn't plan my whole day out in detail which I should have. And also because we didn't do any curriculum on the first day...we were just supposed to meet the kids, have orientation and play games. Luckily it was only a half day because i was running out of things to do!

It is really scary because we haven't been told at all how to make lesson plans or record grades. And we aren't given books or curriculum. We just have to go in the book closet and pick out whatever we can find! And they say the kids are all on different levels and many of them are behind...but I think most of my kids are on approximately the same level.

I was expecting about 25 kids but I only had 16. I think total I'll have around 20. Thankfully the 2nd day was much better! My classroom is super HOT though!! It's right off the ocean so you'd think I'd have a good breeze but no.....we don't. The poor kids are just dripping sweat too. But I love them so much already. They range in ages from 9-14, and the little 9-year-old filipino boy is the smartest of them all! Genius filipinos....hahahahaha. I'm a little afraid that I'm not being strict enough, but my kids are pretty well-behaved and they listen to me (so far anyway!) so I'm not too worried. I actually had a lot of fun teaching today. When I get into the groove of things I know I'm going to LOVE IT!

HILARIOUS STORY---On the first day one of my boys (Peter) asked me if I was pregnant! BAHHAHAHAHAHA so funny....and no I haven't gained that much weight since I've been here.

Yesterday the VP (Cameron) took us all out to celebrate surviving the first day and we went bridge jumping into the ocean off the only bridge on the island. It was SOOO fun. Then we went snorkeling some and saw a couple sharks, bright blue starfish and an octopus and then we just went swimming in the waves off the pier. It was so relaxing...but then I stayed up till 1am chatting with people and making lesson plans for today. Today was also a shorter day so that was nice.

Cameron started a gymnastics team here at the school last year and I get to help coach it! So today he took us to the gym where he takes the kids and showed us around. Me, Lauren and Tony will be teaching the first week by ourselves since Cameron is going with some of the SMs to the outer islands. It's so dang hot in there but it'll be fun!!

We've been having problems with out water too. It was off one night and Cameron said "Oh, that's standard" like he always says...but it's been happening a lot recently! I went over 24 hours without a shower (GROSS!) and one of my apartment mates went almost 48 hours!! And the cockroaches are as friendly as ever....good times. Thank goodness the breeze finally came back last night. It's so hard to sleep here without it...

Thank the Lord for the Sabbath! Mark 2:27

1 comment: