Friday, April 2, 2010

worshiPPed

Last week was "education week" here in Majuro. We found out pretty last minute...and even now that it's over I'm still wondering what the point was. It was definitely more uneducational if anything. We were supposed to plan "educational" activities each afternoon that didn't involve going to school. So we watched a movie one day, picked up trash another and tried to have a spelling bee lol. This week's schedule has been off too with a spelling bee Wednesday,** parent-teacher conferences yesterday (my last ones EVER!) and NO SCHOOL today. It's nice not being in class but I'm really trying to teach my kids as much as possible before I leave!

I found out about the spelling bee with Assumption (Catholic school) on Monday so I practiced with my kids on Monday and Tuesday. I really wanted them to do good since they lost last time against Co-op. Katrina helped me out and we did goofy accents (trying to help them learn to decipher what the actual word is since Lenney is TERRIBLE at pronouncing them! Just think "satisfying" with a Jamaican accent...) Of course we started late and went past 3pm, but my kids won! I was so proud of them. I cracked up when Sherina spelled "worshipped" and Tim started giggling because she said "pp." Oh Tim...

Last Saturday night was Nimrod's concert to raise money for the seniors. I played "the Prayer" with Rob which went ok...but I don't think the violins were heard very well. Plus the lighting was terrible so someone was holding a flashlight to the music from behind us! Nimrod didn't give me music for my solo (with Ronnie on keyboard) until right before the concert. I tried to play through it once but the time signature and key signature were all wrong so I just tried to figure out the rhythm in my head with the notes I had. I really didn't want to do it, but I did it anyway and at one point I was just trying to make it up in my head. AHHH! But it's island style...that's how everything is. At one point the power went out so Zac and Rob randomly sang Amazing Grace in the dark haha...that was interesting. Overall I think it went well...a little long but that's to be expected.

Last Friday Charlotte came to visit! I was worried she wouldn't have a good time, but she actually loves it here. And even though we've still had school (and PTCs) it's been a pretty eventful week. The HS boys' basketball team made it to the championship which is exciting. I bought two more muu muus (which I probably don't need...but they're cheap so why not), and we've been to the bridge and out to eat. And it's officially SPRING BREAK! Not sure what's in store for next week but it's gonna be awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment