Thursday, March 18, 2010

stalker

So a couple weekends ago I had a stalker. They showed up Saturday morning, afternoon and night as well as Sunday. I didn't know how to get rid of them! Ok so it wasn't a creepy stalker. It was a freshman named Hemlen from the volleyball team. Apparently she really looks up to me. I was super excited because she came to church for the first time! I went and sat with her and her baby sister. That's when I found out her tragic story. Her mom died (either in childbirth or soon after) so she is basically Kala's mom. She calls her mommy. What a huge responsibility for a freshman in high school! After church she sort of invited herself over to our apartment. So I let her come over (even though we don't usually have students over) and we entertained her sister for quite awhile. Mid-afternoon I felt bad, but I didn't want her to stay all day. So I told her I had to take a nap (which I did!!). She showed up that night for our church bonfire. I tried to get her to roast marshamallows with me haha, but she's really shy. She tried to come over to our apartment again, but I felt I needed to draw the line somewhere. I have to recharge my batteries away from students! She showed up again on Sunday but I had a lot of work to do. It served as a reminder to me as to how much of an influence I really have here! Even students I would least expect, such as Hemlen, are watching me. What a huge responsibility! This is why it's so important to make sure I am filled with God's love for these kids. I have such a great opportunity to influence them.

So here's a bit of what's been happening lately:

First, Joanne LaFever came (the educational something or other from GMM) to "evaluate" us. But she basically just visited our classrooms, then had a meeting with us about our attendance books. Plus we were given forms to evaluate Lenney. I tried not to slaughter him too bad. But he definitely has some areas to improve on!

Alise's armpit was swelling up really bad after we got back from Kalalan. It was really gross...and painful apparently. She was walking around like a muscle man because it hurt to put her arms down. It was oozing in her sleep too because one of her kids ran into her and popped it. ahahahaha! Anyway last week I went with her to a clinic with a filipino doctor that I didn't even know existed. He gave her antibiotics and she's good to go now.

We've been practicing (me and Alise, or me and Rob, or all three of us) for the concert next week. We haven't officially practiced our other songs yet so I hope it goes well. I'm super excited about playing!! I love my violin. It's funny because this weekend at the Pathfinder campout the kids were "oohing and aahing" over it and freaking out because they touched it. ahahaha

Speaking of the Pathfinder camping trip it was this last weekend on campus. Katrina decided to do a test run here and see how it went. Overall it went well. But there were rough patches. It rained a couple times, but the kids had tents. We had a lot of fun with them by the fire, playing games, etc. One girl threw up in her tent (gross! thanks a lot Marshallese diet!), and of course it was extremely exhausting, but definitely a good time! I love interacting with my kids outside of school. It's just more fun and relaxed. The kids also freaked out when they saw me in glasses. I guess I looked really different...they discovered I'm a "four eyes" haha.

I had a lot of fun skyping Southern during vespers! It was so great to see so many friends and get to share a little of our experience with the student body.

Sadly we lost our volleyball game on Monday so that puts us out of the tournament. We played a really good time and it was a close game. If it wasn't for that last game we'd still be in it for sure! Oh well. Ben and I did what we could. Maybe next year girls!

Tomorrow is 2 months till my departure. It's going so fast!!

No comments:

Post a Comment