Saturday, March 6, 2010

lesson learned

Honestly I am ever so thankful I'm not teaching high school. I just don't think I could handle it. I can be patient with kids who are still learning, but with high school students? I am not patient. They know better. We hardly get any girls on the team to show up for volleyball practices. Fine. But really? You can't even show up on time to a tournament game!? UGHHH! I was so mad but I held it in till now. Our game was at 5:30pm so we told the girls to be there at 5:00pm and have a white shirt. How hard is it to find a white shirt. Especially when you know a week in advance with plenty of reminders. So it's 5:15pm and we still only have 5 girls. Ben and I assume we're going to forfeit. The team we played was supposedly our biggest competition (we're the best team on the island). The girls that were there were running around and on their cell phones and didn't have their shirts on. I needed them to be there to write everyone's number on their back and more importantly warm up! The ceiling is really low in our gym and the game ball is nicer, so we needed to practice serves, setting, etc. Anyway, we finally have one or two more girls walk in at 5 minutes till game time. Wow. I could not believe it. These girls have had the trophy the last 3 years or something, and I really think they feel that they just deserve it. So I scribbled numbers on their backs and scrambled to put a lineup on the roster. I felt like an idiot. haha...oh it's not even funny. The other team had sweet jerseys, had already warmed up and had it all together. We put 6 girls on the court in random order, and none of them were our star players. They got creamed 25-7 or something ridiculous. It was a total embarrassment. We didn't even bother using a timeout on them. They needed some sort of a wake up call! Somebody had said something about lighting a fire under their butt...but they would definitely just turn around and roast marshmallows on it. Anyway, 4 or 5 seniors casually walk in and start bossing US around telling us what numbers they are and where they want to play. Puuhhlease. Sometimes I want to take this island culture by the neck and shake it a little. ahaha So we were a little behind in the second game, but they pulled it together and won. I felt better but I was so irritated I didn't feel much like congratulating them. But I held it in and behaved like a coach should. It's best of 3 games (third only goes to 15), so the girls got serious by this point. The other team was good, but we should have easily taken the first two sets. They played well, the game was neck and neck, but we lost. One of our best players showed up during the last game and just watched. It felt like a slap in the face. I wanted the girls to win soo bad, and I'd like to think that maybe they learned a lesson. But it doesn't seem that they're into learning lessons...hah! (In more ways than one!)

And even though I was frustrated out of my mind, I realized the analogy God was trying to show me. I have done the same thing those girls did, and yet on a much higher scale. God didn't just come to teach me science or spelling for a year, but he came for 33 years and gave his life for me. And not just so I could win a silly volleyball game, but so I could have eternal life with Him! And I'm not just some random student he's come to know and love, but He created me and knew me before I was born! He is trying so hard to win my heart and help me to understand, but I'm so stubborn and stuck in my ways. I show up to the game late (if I even come at all), don't bring my uniform, and try to tell Him what to do. How frustrating! Yet He continues to forgive me every day when I mess up and gives me a second chance.

I'll give those girls a second chance. But more important than winning, I only hope they can see how hard I'm trying and how much I care about them!! And I know that's all God wants too.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, Nicole, can I use this blog post in the next Roots issue? Pretty please? It totally fits with my emerging "theme" of the issue. :D

    ReplyDelete