Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Pohnpei

Last Friday after school it hadn't really hit me that it was break. Or that I was going to be on a plane headed for Pohnpei the next morning. Friday afternoon I did some laundry and very nicoleishly waited until the next morning (and the last minute) to pack my things. A lot of the other SMs came to see Rob and I off. We checked in, went through security and boarded the plane in the rain. We sat on the plane for a LONG time. We were late so we had to let a couple of planes go before us. I wondered if I was ever really going to get off the island...

Then we took off! The plane stopped in Kwajalein then Kosrae and finally Pohnpei. We were about an hour and a half late so I felt bad that Charlotte and Corey and everyone had to wait so long. I wore a muu muu because everyone in Majuro wears them and they are super comfortable. But nobody wears them here! Instead they wear their skirts up by their armpits like dresses. It's so weird. lol It's funny what becomes "normal" after several months of living somewhere. We drove to the school in the back of their red fire truck in the rain! It was so incredible to see mountains!!

Saturday night we went to a basketball game and then a birthday party at Coco Marina. There are a lot more white people here than in Majuro. And the SMs here can wear pants, shorts and/or tanktops out! It felt really strange at first. They can also drive the school vehicles and take the boat out whenever. The apartments are also bigger and a lot more spread out than on our campus. We're pretty contained at school, but there's a lot more to do here.

Sunday started out with a bang. Sam, an older maintenance man, fell off the roof he was working on. He didn't fall all the way to the ground but it was still 10 feet or so. He hit his head and was knocked unconscious for a little bit. They took him to the hospital in the back of a truck. So we all went to see the hospital and be there for his wife. I think he is ok, but the next day they flew him to Guam to make sure it wasn't too serious. Later on me, Charlotte and Katie went to Cliff Rainbow for dinner and got fried ice cream! Mmm

Monday Corey and Charlotte took me shopping everywhere. We went to Kapinga Village and Grace’s bakery. Late in the afternoon we went and climbed Sokehs ridge and watched the sunset. It was so beautiful! It’s such a nice change to be able to actually climb something besides the bridge in Majuro lol. (Sadly it’s the highest point). On the way home we got coconut pops or “ice pahr.” They need to start making those in Majuro I decided.

Tuesday me and Charlotte went with the guys to Palikir. They went surfing and I tried my hand at spear fishing with Corey. Not exactly my talent but it was fun trying! We saw a little reef shark too. After awhile the fins were hurting so I hopped on a board with Andrew and we paddled out to get a closer view while the guys surfed. It was a good day and very clear. Hence why Charlotte and I got burnt! :( That made for a rough sleeping situation last night. Lol After several hours we went back and ate at Ocean View overlooking Sokehs rock, the bay area with boats, etc. We had coconuts with straws in them. So good! Then they cut them open and we ate the meat inside. Later Charlotte and I walked with Alex to this little pier so he could take pictures. It started raining so we climbed over the fence into this abandoned restaurant over the water. It was really cool.

Today we went shopping for a little bit and got gifts for our white elephant get together tomorrow. Then we went to Twin Falls, but it was too dangerous to jump. It’s ok though. I still swam some and took pictures. Now we’re just chillin and might watch a movie later.

I can’t believe it’s the eve of Christmas Eve! I’m enjoying this break soo much. I’m so relaxed and haven’t really thought about school or stressed about anything. As much as I miss Majuro and everyone back at home I don’t think I’m ready to go back. I just want to chill here for awhile. ☺ But I sure miss my Majuro family! They’re the best!

2 comments:

  1. you sure are having a good time. i like your "morning started off with a bang" choice of words. clever. unfortunate, but clever. tell me if they have fireworks for christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. well...unfortunately i flew out on christmas. so hopefully they didn't have fireworks because I didn't get to see them! lol I hope you had a great Christmas!! by the way, one of the Austrians from Woja said he knows your sister! Stefani right? So random...

    ReplyDelete